Effectiveness of various treatment strategies in COVID-19 patients having Solid Organ Transplant: A Systematic Review
Introduction: This narrative review provides an evidence-based summary of the various interventions in the management of Post Solid organ transplant patients who reported positive for COVID-19.
Materials and Methods: For this systematic review, observational and experimental studies; conducted on Post- Organ transplant patients, either symptomatic or asymptomatic, who tested positive for COVID-19 were included. Only solid organ transplant patient studies were considered standard for this review type. The English version, both published and unpublished articles, from Dec 2019 to Aug 2020, were evaluated using Pubmed, Google Scholar, Science direct, Medrixv search engines. The articles with incomplete details about a transplant or covid management were excluded.
Results: We selected 43 articles out of which 9 were retrospective studies, 2 were cohort studies, one was an experimental study, and 31 were case studies. According to the literature review, effective management therapy includes the withdrawal of immunosuppressive drugs, increase/ constant steroid dose, and regimen containing HCQ, interleukin inhibitor, and one antiviral drug especially remdesivir proved to be the most effective among all. In others, administration of IV immunoglobulins/convalescent plasma therapy proved effective in various trials but related data is currently limited. While Lop/Rit, Interferons alpha, and oseltamivir trials are also given; these therapies didn’t prove to be much effective individually.
Conclusion: More trials are required to find the effectiveness of Convalescent plasma therapy. It can be proved as an effective treatment in critical patients. IV immunoglobulins effectiveness should also be tested in critical patients and for this more experimental trials are needed.
2. Pneumonia of unknown cause — China: disease outbreak news. Geneva: World Health Organization, January 5, 2020 (https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/.
3. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020; 395(10223):497‐506.
4. Porcheddu R, Serra C, Kelvin D, et al. Similarity in case fatality rates (CFR) of COVID‐19/SARS‐COV‐2 in Italy and China. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2020; 14(2):125‐128.
5. H. Shi, X. Han, N. Jiang, Y. Cao, O. Alwalid, J. Gu, Y. Fan, C. Zheng, Radiological findings from 81 patients with COVID-19 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study, Lancet Infect Dis. 20 (2020) 425-434.
6. Michaels MG, La Hoz RM, Danziger-Isakov L, et al. Coronavirus disease 2019: implications of emerging infections for transplantation. Am J Transplant. [published online ahead of print 2020]. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.15832.
7. Fontana F, Alfano G, Mori G, Amurri A, Lorenzo T, Ballestri M, et al. Covid‐19 pneumonia in a kidney transplant recipient successfully treated with Tocilizumab and Hydroxychloroquine. Am J Transplant. 2020;2:0–3.
8. Lauterio A, Valsecchi M, Santambrogio S, De Carlis R, Merli M, Calini A, et al. Successful recovery from severe COVID‐19 pneumonia after kidney transplantation: The interplay between immunosuppression and novel therapy including tocilizumab. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;e13334.
9. Zhu L, Xu X, Ma K, Yang J, Guan H, Chen S, et al. Successful recovery of COVID-19 pneumonia in a renal transplant recipient with long-term immunosuppression. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1859–63.
10. Meziyerh S, Zwart TC, van Etten RW, Janson JA, van Gelder T, Alwayn IPJ, et al. Severe COVID-19 in a renal transplant recipient: A focus on pharmacokinetics. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1896–901.
11. Thammathiwat T, Tungsanga S, Tiankanon K, Torvorapanit P, Chumpangern W, Udomkarnjananun S, et al. A Case of Successful Treatment of Severe COVID‐19 Pneumonia with Favipiravir and Tocilizumab in Post‐kidney Transplant Recipient. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;e13388.
12. Q Santos CA, Rhee Y, Hollinger EF, Olaitan OK, Schadde E, Peev V, et al. Title: Comparative Incidence and Outcomes of COVID-19 in Kidney or Kidney-Pancreas Transplant Recipients Versus Kidney or Kidney-Pancreas Waitlisted Patients: A Pilot Study. medRxiv [Internet]. 2020;2020.07.20.20157990. Available from: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.20.20157990v1%0Ahttps://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.20.20157990v1.abstract
13. Silva F, Cipriano A, Cruz H, Tavares J, Fragoso J, Malheiro J, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection in kidney transplant recipients: Early report of five cases. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;(May):1–7.
14. Lubetzky M, Aull M, Craig-Shapiro R, Lee JJ, Lee JJ, Sultan S, et al. Kidney Allograft Recipients Diagnosed with Coronavirus Disease-2019: A Single Center Report. medRxiv [Internet]. 2020;2020.04.30.20086462. Available from: http://medrxiv.org/lookup/doi/10.1101/2020.04.30.20086462
15. Morlacchi LC, Rossetti V, Gigli L, Amati F, Rosso L, Aliberti S, et al. COVID-19 in lung transplant recipients: A case series from Milan, Italy. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;
16. Koczulla RA, Sczepanski B, Koteczki A, Kuhnert S, Hecker M, Askevold I, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection in two patients following recent lung transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2020;0–1.
17. Desmazes-Dufeu N, Coltey B, Amari L, Gouitaa M, Touzery C, Reynaud-Gaubert M, et al. Discordant courses of COVID-19 in a cohabiting couple of lung transplant recipients. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;(July):1–5.
18. Vaidya G, Czer LSC, Kobashigawa J, Kittleson M, Patel J, Chang D, et al. Successful Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia With Clazakizumab in a Heart Transplant Recipient: A Case Report. Transplant Proc [Internet]. 2020;1(310):10–3. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transproceed.2020.06.003
19. Roberts MB, Izzy S, Tahir Z, Al Jarrah A, Fishman JA, El Khoury J. COVID‐19 in solid organ transplant recipients: dynamics of disease progression and inflammatory markers in ICU and non‐ICU admitted patients. Transpl Infect Dis. :e13407.
20. Loinaz C, Marcacuzco A, Fernández‐Ruiz M, Caso O, Cambra F, San Juan R, et al. Varied clinical presentation and outcome of SARS‐CoV‐2 infection in liver transplant recipients: initial experience at a single center in Madrid, Spain. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;e13372.
21. Suwanwongse K, Shabarek N. Fatal Outcome in a Kidney-Pancreas Transplant Recipient With COVID-19. Cureus. 2020;12(6).
22. Decker A, Welzel M, Laubner K, Grundmann S, Kochs G, Panning M, et al. Prolonged SARS-CoV-2 shedding and mild course of COVID-19 in a patient after recent heart transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2020;
23. Yi SG, Rogers AW, Saharia A, Aoun M, Faour R, Abdelrahim M, et al. ACE inhibitors. Transplantation. 2020;Publish Ah(Xxx):1–7.
24. Hoek RAS, Manintveld OC, Betjes MGH, Hellemons ME, Seghers L, Van Kampen JAA, et al. COVID-19 in solid organ transplant recipients: a single-center experience. Transpl Int. 2020;
25. Myers CN, Scott JH, Criner GJ, Cordova FC, Mamary AJ, Marchetti N, et al. COVID‐19 in Lung Transplant Recipients. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;(May):1–5.
26. Devresse A, Belkhir L, Vo B, Ghaye B, Scohy A, Kabamba B, et al. COVID-19 Infection in Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Single-Center Case Series of 22 Cases From Belgium. Kidney Med. 2020;
27. Cozzi E, Faccioli E, Marinello S, Loy M, Congedi S, Calabrese F, et al. COVID‐19 pneumonia in lung transplant recipients: report of two cases. Am J Transplant. 2020;
28. Hammami MB, Garibaldi B, Shah P, Liu G, Jain T, Chen PH, et al. Clinical Course of COVID-19 in a Liver Transplant Recipient on Hemodialysis and Response to Tocilizumab Therapy: A Case Report. Am J Transplant. 2020;0–2.
29. Modi AR, Koval CE, Taege AJ, Modaresi Esfeh J, Eghtesad B, Narayanan Menon K V., et al. Coronavirus disease 2019 in an orthotopic liver transplant recipient living with human immunodeficiency virus. Transpl Infect Dis. 2020;(May).
30. Seminari E, Colaneri M, Sambo M, Gallazzi I, Di Matteo A, Roda S, et al. SARS Cov‐2 infection in a renal‐transplanted patient: A case report. Am J Transplant. 2020;
31. Zhong Z, Zhang Q, Xia H, Wang A, Liang W, Zhou W, et al. Clinical characteristics and immunosuppressant management of coronavirus disease 2019 in solid organ transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1916–21.
32. Huang JF, Zheng KI, George J, Gao HN, Wei RN, Yan HD, et al. Fatal outcome in a liver transplant recipient with COVID-19. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1907–10.
33. De Gottardi A, Fratila C, Bertoli R, Cerny A, Magenta L, Gianella P, et al. Clinical characteristics and management of a liver transplanted patient admitted with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol [Internet]. 2020;4–7. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinre.2020.05.014
34. Guillen E, Pineiro GJ, Revuelta I, Rodriguez D, Bodro M, Moreno A, et al. Case report of COVID-19 in a kidney transplant recipient: Does immunosuppression alter the clinical presentation? Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1875–8.
35. Pereira MR, Mohan S, Cohen DJ, Husain SA, Dube GK, Ratner LE, et al. COVID‐19 in solid organ transplant recipients: Initial report from the US epicenter. Am J Transplant. 2020;
36. Huang J, Lin H, Wu Y, Fang Y, Kumar R, Chen G, et al. COVID-19 in posttransplant patients—report of 2 cases. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1879–81.
37. Ahluwalia M, Givertz MM, Mehra MR. A Proposed Strategy for Management of Immunosuppression in Heart Transplant Patients with COVID-19. Clin Transplant. 2020;
38. Sonja A. Rasmussen, MD, MS JCS, Wang J, Li X, Cao G, Wu X, Wang Z, et al. Since January 2020 Elsevier has created a COVID-19 resource centre with free information in English and Mandarin on the novel coronavirus COVID-. Ann Oncol. 2020;(January):19–21.
39. Iacovoni A, Boffini M, Pidello S, Simonato E, Barbero C, Sebastiani R, et al. A case series of Novel-Coronavirus infection in heart transplantation from two centers in the pandemic area in the North of Italy. J Hear Lung Transplant. 2020;
40. Singhvi A, Barghash M, Lala A, Mitter SS, Parikh A, Oliveros E, et al. Challenges in Heart Transplantation during COVID-19: A Single Center Experience. J Hear Lung Transplant [Internet]. 2020; Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2020.06.015
41. Antony SJ, Singh J, de Jesus M, Lance J. Early use of tocilizumab in respiratory failure associated with acute COVID -19 pneumonia in recipients with solid organ transplantation. IDCases [Internet]. 2020;21:e00888. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idcr.2020.e00888
42. Kates OS, Fisher CE, Stankiewicz-Karita HC, Shepherd AK, Church EC, Kapnadak SG, et al. Earliest cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) identified in solid organ transplant recipients in the United States. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1885–90.
43. Fung M, Chiu CY, DeVoe C, Doernberg SB, Schwartz BS, Langelier C, et al. Clinical Outcomes and Serologic Response in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients with COVID-19: A Case Series from the United States. Am J Transplant. 2020;0–2.
44. Fernández-Ruiz M, Andrés A, Loinaz C, Delgado JF, López-Medrano F, San Juan R, et al. COVID-19 in solid organ transplant recipients: A single-center case series from Spain. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1849–58.
45. Ghaffari Rahbar M, Nafar M, Khoshdel A, Dalili N, Abrishami A, Firouzan A, et al. Low Rate of COVID‐19 pneumonia in Kidney Transplant Recipients‐A Battle Between Infection and Immune Response? Transpl Infect Dis. :e13406.
46. Zhu L, Xu X, Ma K, Yang J, Guan H, Chen S, et al. Successful recovery of COVID-19 pneumonia in a renal transplant recipient with long-term immunosuppression. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1859–63.
47. Abrishami A, Samavat S, Behnam B, Arab-Ahmadi M, Nafar M, Sanei Taheri M. Clinical Course, Imaging Features, and Outcomes of COVID-19 in Kidney Transplant Recipients. Eur Urol [Internet]. 2020;78(2):281–6. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.04.064
48. Nair V, Jandovitz N, Hirsch JS, Nair G, Abate M, Bhaskaran M, et al. COVID-19 in kidney transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1819–25.
49. Huang JF, Zheng KI, George J, Gao HN, Wei RN, Yan HD, et al. Fatal outcome in a liver transplant recipient with COVID-19. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(7):1907–10.
50. Laracy JC, Verna EC, Pereira MR. Antivirals for COVID-19 in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients. Curr Transplant Reports. 2020;7(4):355–65.
51. Pereira MR, Aversa MM, Farr MA, Miko BA, Aaron JG, Mohan S, et al. Tocilizumab for severe COVID-19 in solid organ transplant recipients: a matched cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2020;20(11):3198–205.
52. Behrens G, Dejam A, Schmidt H, Balks HJ, Brabant G, Körner T, et al. Impaired glucose tolerance, beta cell function and lipid metabolism in HIV patients under treatment with protease inhibitors. Aids. 1999;13(10):1–8.
53. Marano G, Vaglio S, Pupella S, Facco G, Catalano L, Liumbruno GM, et al. Convalescent plasma: New evidence for an old therapeutic tool? Blood Transfus. 2016;14(2):152–7.
54. Rojas M, Rodríguez Y, Monsalve DM, Acosta-ampudia Y, Camacho B, Esteban J, et al. Since January 2020 Elsevier has created a COVID-19 resource centre with free information in English and Mandarin on the novel coronavirus COVID- 19 . The COVID-19 resource centre is hosted on Elsevier Connect, the company’s s public news and information. 2020;(January).
55. Eckhardt CM, Cummings MJ, Rajagopalan KN, Borden S, Bitan ZC, Wolf A, et al. Correction to: Evaluating the efficacy and safety of human anti-SARS-CoV-2 convalescent plasma in severely ill adults with COVID-19: A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial (Trials, (2020), 21, 1, (499), 10.1186/s13063-020-04422-y). Trials. 2020;21(1):20–2.
56. Duan K, Liu B, Li C, Zhang H, Yu T, Qu J, et al. Effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy in severe COVID-19 patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020;117(17):9490–6.
57. Zhang J, Yang Y, Yang N, Ma Y, Zhou Q, et al. Effectiveness of intravenous immunoglobulin for children with severe COVID-19: a rapid review. Ann Transl Med. 2020;8(10):625–625.
58. Mohtadi N, Ghaysouri A, Shirazi S, Sara Ansari, Shafiee E, Bastani E, et al. Recovery of severely ill COVID-19 patients by intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) treatment: A case series. Virology. 2020;548(January):1–5.
59. Cao W, Liu X, Bai T, Fan H, Hong K, Song H, et al. High-dose intravenous immunoglobulin as a therapeutic option for deteriorating patients with coronavirus disease 2019. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020;7(3):1–6.
Copyright (c) 2021 Muhammad Shehryar Hussain, Khadeja Farrukh, Tehniyat Iqbal, Aleeza Fatima, Zunira Mughis, Hafiz Amjad Hussain
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.