Outcomes of Patients on Maintenance Hemodialysis Admitted to a Tertiary Care Hospital with COVID-19
Background: The coronavirus disease-2019 pandemic has caused a disastrous world health crisis. The patients with renal disease, particularly those who are receiving regular dialysis therapy have elevated risk of COVID-19 infection-associated complications as well as poor prognosis including enhanced risk of hospital admission, mechanical ventilation and mortality.
Objective: The objective of the study is to assess the outcomes of patients on maintenance dialysis admitted to a tertiary care hospital with COVID-19.
Material and Methods: This retrospective study was performed in a Tertiary Care Hospital from March 2020 to August 2020. A total of 44 patients were included in the study. Data collected through questionnaire was analyzed using the computer software SPSS 24.0. Frequencies and percentages were calculated for categorical data while mean+SD was calculated for quantitative data.
Results: Among 44 patients, 63.6% were males and the mean age was 46.86+12.413 years. Mean number of dialysis were 3.57+2.214. The mean ferritin level was 2067.05+788.412 ng/ml and mean C-reactive protein level was 111.59+32.998 mg/L. Among these patients, 65.9% were discharged and 34.1% patients expired.
Conclusion: Study concluded that elevated levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and CRP are found among patients on maintenance dialysis with COVID-19.
2. Javaid MA, Tanseer U, Baig ZF, Kashif N, Hayat A, Bokhari KH. Bedside dialysis using portable hemodialysis apparatus: our experience during covid-19 pandemic. Pak Armed Forces Med J. 2020; 70(2): S463-7.
3. Waris A, Ali M, Khan AU, Ali A, Bangash AK, Baset A. COVID-19 incidence in Pakistan: gender disparity. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci. 2020; 14 (3); e105990.
4. Naaraayan A, Nimkar A, Hasan A, Pant S, Durdevic M, Elenius H, et al. End-stage renal disease patients on chronic hemodialysis fare better with COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study from the New York Metropolitan Region. Cureus. 2020; 12(9): e10373.
5. Chan L, Jaladanki SK, Somani S, Paranjpe I, Kumar A, Zhao S, et al. Outcomes of patients on maintenance dialysis hospitalized with COVID-19. CJASN. 2021; 16: 1-4.
6. Stefan G, Mehedinti AM, Andreiana I, Zugravu AD, Cinca S, Busuioc R, et al. Clinical features and outcome of maintenance hemodialysis patients with COVID-19 from a tertiary nephrology care center in Romania. Renal Failure. 2021; 43(1): 49-57.
7. Mahmood QK, Jafree SR, Jalil A, Nadir SMH, Fischer F. Anxiety amongst physicians during COVID-19: cross-sectional study in Pakistan. BMC Public Health. 2021; 21: 118.
8. Government of Pakistan. COVID-19 situation. Available at: https://covid.gov.pk/
9. Farooq O, Khan M, Masood A, Mumtaz A, Waris S, Amin Y, et al. Variations in clinical parameters of hospitalized patients with COVID-19. Ann King Edward Med Uni. 2020; 26: 192.
10. Ahmed W, Al Obaidli AAK, Joseph P, Smith E, Khan AA, Anwar S, et al. Outcomes of patients with end stage kidney disease on dialysis with COVID-19. From PCR to antibody. Res Square. 2020; 1-15.
11. Islam M, Ozturk Y, Koc Y. Clinical outcomes of COVID-19 in hemodialysis patients in the city of Zonguldak, Turkey. Int Urol Nephrol. 2021; 1-8.
12. Lano G, Braconnier A, Bataille S, Cavaille G, Moussi-Frances J, Gondouin B, et al. Risk factors for severity of COVID-19 in chronic dialysis patients from a multicentre French cohort. Clin Kidney J. 2020; 878-88.
13. Tortonese S, Scriabine I, Anjou L, Loens C, Michon A, Benabdelhak M, et al. COVID-19 in patients on maintenance dialysis in the Paris Region. Kidney Int Rep. 2020; 5: 1535-44.
14. Kooman JP, van der Sande FM. COVID-19 in ESRD and acute kidney injury. Basel: S Karger AG; 2020.
15. Ng JH, Hirsch JS, Wanchoo R, Sachdeva M, Sakhiya V, Hong S, et al. Outcomes of patients with end-stage kidney disease hospitalized with COVID-19. Kidney Int. 2020; 98: 1530-9.
16. Jung HY, Lim JH, Kang SH, Kim SG, Lee YH, Lee J, et al. Outcomes of COVID-19 among patients on in-center hemodialysis: an experience from the Epicenter in South Korea. J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 1688.
17. Zamberg I, Mavrakanas T, Ernandez T, Bourquin V, Zellweger M, Marangon N, et al. Management and outcomes of patients on maintenance dialysis during the COVID-19 pandemic: a report from Geneva, Switzerland. Res Square. 2020; 1-14.
18. Trivedi M, Shingada A, Shah M, Khanna U, Karnik ND, Ramachandran R. Impact of COVID-19 on maintenance haemodialysis patients: The Indian scenario. Nephrology. 2020; 25: 929-32.
19. Turgutalp K, Ozturk S, Arici M, Eren N, Gorgulu N, Islam M, et al. Determinants of mortality in a large group of hemodialysis patients hospitalized for COVID-19. BMC Nephrol. 2021; 22: 29.
20. Luo Y, Li J, Liu Z, Yu H, Peng X, Cao C. Characteristics and outcomes of hemodialysis patients with COVID-19: a retrospective single center study. Peer J. 2020; 8: e10459.
Copyright (c) 2021 Ahmed Tirmizi, Mudassar Murtaza Cheema, Zein El Amir, Zeeshan Qadeer
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.